November 4, 2011

Doodle Buddy

I love the Doodle Buddy app.  I love it for so many reasons.  It is so versatile, you can use it for just about any purpose you need it for.  You can take screenshots after you have used it to save the content you have been working on, or if you are finished with the work and are ready to erase, you simply shake your iPad and the screen will erase for you.




This week, we worked on identifying equations to 10 where students had to know 11 different math facts that equaled 10.  They were expected to identify missed addends in equations without any hesitation.  The best way to practice this skill is repetition and practice so they have the facts memorized.  I used Doodle Buddy (of course) to collaborate with the students and recreate the anchor chart that we had previously made as a whole class.  On one side of the Doodle Buddy screen, I wrote 5 different math facts that added up to 10, with the first addends in descending order from 10.  We then talked about patterns that we noticed, and from there, the students wrote the missing equations in different colors. This helped the students to recognize that if you know 5 of the equations, then they automatically know 10 because they addends are just reversed.

I also found a neat tutorial for how to save images as a picture on an iPad, and then transfer the image to the Doodle Buddy App to use as a picture.  I am definitely going to play around with this to practice with literacy skills or word problems.  I can't wait to see if this works!



Next week, we work with money using only pennies, nickels, and dimes.  I am looking for an app where  students can practice identifying the different coins, as well as counting and exchanging pennies, nickels, and dimes.  I know I can always fall back on using Doodle Buddy, but I would really like to branch out and find a fun game for them to practice to ease their frustration of having to work so hard all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment